You know, we use ad-blockers as well. We gotta keep those servers running though.
Did you know that we publish useful books and run
friendly conferences — crafted for pros like
yourself? E.g. our upcoming SmashingConf Barcelona,
dedicated to smart front-end techniques and design patterns.
CSS is an amazing tool which we constantly use but we don’t seem to honor it appropriately. Whenever I see the growing browser support of the
:focus-within selector, the much wanted
justify-content: space-evenly for Flexbox or how great CSS Grids already work, I feel really grateful to have such awesome tools available to work with.
And with advanced new media queries such as
screen and (color), or
pointer, we get amazing tools to improve accessibility and usability of our websites. Just let the user be in control how to view your amazing design and it’ll be a success for everyone.
Further Reading on SmashingMag: Link
- Docracy6 is a community-driven platform for free legal documents. It already covers a lot of categories and might become useful in future for you.
:focus-withinCSS pseudo-selector11 is a nice way to enhance your form sections further. Browser support12 is still a bit limited so far but it’s already worth thinking about adding it to your code to improve design and usability for those whose browser support the selector already.
- The CSS Flexbox Module specification now has a new value
justify-content: space-evenly13. This new setting places even space between and to the outer of the elements — a feature we all wanted to have very much in Flexbox. It already works in Firefox, and Safari Tech Preview and Chrome Canary have the support as well.
- Zach Leatherman on how you can rename a font in CSS14 and font aliasing.
Concept & Design Link
- Hampus Sethfors18 and Hugo Giraudel19 collected a bunch of real-world experiences regarding accessibility on websites. These two articles give a lot of insight on how to understand accessibility and usability of websites better.
Going Beyond… Link
- 1 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2016/02/the-flexbox-reading-list/
- 2 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2016/11/css-inheritance-cascade-global-scope-new-old-worst-best-friends/
- 3 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2017/06/building-production-ready-css-grid-layout/
- 4 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2016/08/ways-to-reduce-content-shifting-on-page-load/
- 5 https://letsencrypt.org//2017/07/06/wildcard-certificates-coming-jan-2018.html
- 6 http://www.docracy.com/
- 7 https://blog.haschek.at/2017/how-to-defend-your-website-with-zip-bombs.html
- 8 https://eventbrite.github.io/britecharts/
- 9 https://eventbrite.github.io/britecharts/tutorial-donut.html
- 10 https://eventbrite.github.io/britecharts/tutorial-donut.html
- 11 https://codepen.io/matuzo/pen/awdevz
- 12 https://caniuse.com/#search=%3Afocus-within
- 13 https://codepen.io/matuzo/pen/GmXVWo?editors=1100
- 14 https://www.zachleat.com/web/rename-font/
- 15 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2017/07/designing-perfect-date-time-picker/
- 16 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2017/07/designing-perfect-date-time-picker/
- 17 http://topvet.net
- 18 https://axesslab.com/accessibility-according-to-pwd/
- 19 https://hugogiraudel.com/2017/07/02/accessibility-feedback/
- 20 https://axesslab.com/accessibility-according-to-pwd/
- 21 https://axesslab.com/accessibility-according-to-pwd/
- 22 https://www.offscreenmag.com/blog/the-grip-of-now