We use ad-blockers as well, you know. We gotta keep those servers running though.
Did you know that we publish useful books and run
— crafted for pros like yourself? E.g. upcoming SmashingConf San Francisco,
dedicated to smart front-end techniques and design patterns.
Further Reading on SmashingMag: Link
- Safari 10.1 was announced a while ago already, and this week it finally came to Macs and iOS devices around the world. The new Safari version ships CSS Grid Layouts,
fetch(), IndexedDB2.0, Custom Elements, Form Validation, Media Capture, and much more. You can read more about the new features and how to use them5 in detail on the WebKit blog.
- Chromium is advising developers to not use
- This week, Mozilla started with their Security/Binary Transparency7 project which allows third parties to verify that binaries from Mozilla match the original public source code exactly and also to check for its integrity. This is a huge step in open-source and binary app development that other applications out there would benefit from, too.
- The Chromium project is implementing8 the WICG proposal of a Feature Policy9 (see launch status10), an interesting concept to complete other policies such as the Content Security Policy. By allowing site owners to explicitly allow or disallow browser features such as geolocation, webcam/microphone access and similar things, sites can better protect their users from exploits.
Concept & Design Link
- We all know the annoying overlays that prompt website visitors to take action — “sign up for the newsletter”, “like the page on Facebook”. Bureau of Programming now shares thoughts on why it was easier to get rid of annoying pop-up windows and why it’s up to us developers to not build annoying features15 if we want to make the web a useful, friendly place.
- A new paper from a joint venture of universities and Akamai Technologies introduces CRLite, a scalable system for pushing all TLS revocations to all browsers18 (PDF, 1.3MB). Currently, no major browser fully checks for TLS/SSL certificate revocations, but that could be changing soon if vendors agree with this research paper and start implementing the system.
Going Beyond… Link
And with that, I’ll close for this week. If you like what I write each week, please support me with a donation24 or share this resource with other people. You can learn more about the costs of the project here25. It’s available via email, RSS and online.
- 1 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2014/09/making-modal-windows-better-for-everyone/
- 2 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2016/05/creating-a-living-style-guide-case-study/
- 3 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2016/03/integrate-motion-design-animation-ux-workflow/
- 4 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2013/10/smart-transitions-in-user-experience-design/
- 5 https://webkit.org/blog/7477/new-web-features-in-safari-10-1/
- 6 https://developers.google.com/web/updates/2017/03/dialogs-policy
- 7 https://wiki.mozilla.org/Security/Binary_Transparency
- 8 https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/forum/#!topic/blink-dev/uKO1CwiY3ts
- 9 https://wicg.github.io/feature-policy/
- 10 https://www.chromestatus.com/feature/5694225681219584
- 11 https://wiki.mozilla.org/Security/Binary_Transparency
- 12 https://wiki.mozilla.org/Security/Binary_Transparency
- 13 https://wiki.mozilla.org/Security/Binary_Transparency
- 14 https://medium.com/@Flocke/professional-pride-7b84287ae747
- 15 https://python.sh/2017/3/i-dont-want-to-subscribe-to-your-newsletter
- 16 https://python.sh/2017/3/i-dont-want-to-subscribe-to-your-newsletter
- 17 https://python.sh/2017/3/i-dont-want-to-subscribe-to-your-newsletter
- 18 http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/cbw/static/pdf/larisch-oakland17.pdf
- 19 http://a11y-style-guide.com/style-guide/
- 20 https://developers.google.com/web/updates/2017/03/performant-expand-and-collapse
- 21 http://www.vox.com/energy-and-environment/2017/3/23/15028480/roadmap-paris-climate-goals
- 22 https://www.wired.com/2017/03/silicon-valley-rather-cure-death-make-life-worth-living/
- 23 http://www.niemanlab.org/2017/03/slower-structural-developments-that-shape-society-a-qa-with-de-correspondent-editor-rob-wijnberg/
- 24 https://wdrl.info/donate
- 25 https://wdrl.info/costs/